After we came across two nice??? pilgrimage churches in “Kleinhelfendorf”
and the more frightning „Martyr Capel“ with a live size pictorial representation of the martyr / cutting St. Emmeram (652? 685? 692? 715?) into pieces in the middle of the church. The marketing department of Kleinhelfendorf states, that St. Emmeram died here whereas the competitors in Feldkirchen state that he breathed his last breath in Feldkirchen.
people at work
And the small Lime Tree Chapel next to the Martyr Chapel. The sign tells that somebody picked up the feet which were thrown into some shrubbery and the whereabouts is still unknown.
We followed the traces of Saint Emmeram from here to Feldkirchen, Aschheim, Emmeramsbrücke at the Isar River, down the Isar river and up the Danube River to Regensburg (Ratisbon). Though he did no longer have legs at that trip.
He was bound on a ladder (therefor traditionally depicted with one),
tortured, several of his body parts (all limbs, eyes, tongue) were cut of in Kleinhelfendorf but he still was alive when he arrived in Feldkirchen. (stated by the marketing department in Feldkirchen)
Here he, they say, died, and a ladder was lowered from the sky on which he immediately climbed up into paradise. He had done nothing wrong. He only helped the poor girl Uta (daughter of the Duke in Regensburg/Ratisbon) who started an inadequate relation with a civil servant and became pregnant. The ledgend has it, he made up a story to protect Uta and went on a trip to Rome to get help from the Pope but never made it as he was caught by the family. Lantpert, the brother of Uta, son of the Duke did the bad part in the story. Other theories have it, that Emmeram (from Fraconian France) was killed due to the rising influence of Franconians which the local nobility of the Awaren did not like at that time. Franconians and Bavarians do not sympathise a lot even up till today.
(1842 the local community received the royal permit to built this chappel here from Wittelsbacher King Ludwig I. which was good for marketing. In the Secularization under King Maximilian I. (father of Ludwig) pilgrimage was forbidden. Also because pilgrims did not behave on their trips and spent too much time in the Inns and drank too much.
We made a stop at one of the Bathing Lakes nearby, the „Heimstettener See“ .
We continued the pilgrimage tradition and shared a little snack and a small traditional drink. Brewed by excellent brewery Ayinger. To lift our spirit up.
Emmeram’s body was then brought to Aschheim.
Here he was buried at first in St. Peter and Paul but he did not like to stay there. The Rainmaker started to make it rain for 40 days so the people decided to exhume him.
And to bring him back to Regensburg (Ratisbon) where he was Bishop in the mid 6’hundreds. Therefore he could not help in the wirecard scandal. Wirecard did not stay here for long either.
We left Aschheim passing a nice May Pole.
We followed his route and next maybe with the help of St. Emmeram passed the Feringasee Lake.
Notorious for the most foul, cruel, bad tempered, red eyed killer rodent. Which we came across here.
We passed it fast and then had lunch at the „Feringasee“ Lake. The main restaurant was still closed due to Corona.
But the Beer Garden was open. So we could continue with our Pilgrimage but with only half of the spiritual experience.
We then went through wealthy „Unterföhring“ with global players
-and ZDF TV Studios in the „ZDF Straße“.
The ZDF has several studios all over Germany. Payed by the kind German fee payers.
Emmeram was put on a raft near the “St. Emmerams Brücke” (bridge“) where he is commemorated with a statue.
And rafted downstream. Passing
-Freising, the Munich airport area,
-And then Straubing at the Danube River
And rafted downstream.
-Then after he reached the Danube River, he by a miracle, rafted upstream by himself back to Regensburg.
But other sources say, he was moved by the Bishop in Regensburg. Here he was put up at first in the church St. Georg (which is now one of the 3 wings of the still old but newer cathedral St. Emmeram in Regensburg). But he was moved again inside the complex, which was later turned into a monastery. But the first burial site is still marked with a High Grave.
The monastery was dissolved in the Secularization in the early 19’th century but it’s church is still there.
It breathes history: and in one part a quire was practicing. Which was nice and sounded very professional. Maybe even the Regensburger Cathedral Sparrows.
If the legend becomes fact and sells, print the legend. The church is a historically very important building and burial site of
-an emperor Arnulf von Kärnten,
-his son „Ludwig the Child“,
-blessed abbot Ramwolt,
-the father of an emperor (Liudolfinger); of Ottone Heinrich der Zänker 951-995, “The Wrangler” Duke Henry II, Duke of Bavaria – Wikipedia),
-many more Saints like St. Wolfgang,
-Blessed and scholars like “Aventinus” who was born nearby in “Abensberg”.
-And of course many familiy members of the Thurn und Taxis Dynasty.
The martyr of St. Emmeram is depicted with serveral paintings in that church. Again showing a ladder.
A sun beacon through the window was cutting through the big picture above the altar then we were there.
sunbeam cutting through picture
The crypt of St. Wolfgang was consecrated 1052 by Pope Leo IX. (* 1002; † 19. April 1054 in Rome), one of the „German Popes“ of that time under Salien reign. Leo travelled a lot north of the Alps, just like the secular leaders of this time to pursue his interests in those regions.
The church repectively its predecessor St. Georg dates back to the late 8’th century. Church St. Georg maybe even to the late 7’th century. However remains of an even older church from the Great, Old Romans were not discovered so far.
If the legend becomes facts and sells, print the legend.
The rest of the monastery ended in the hands of the mighty noble family Thurn und Taxis after the Secularization, Who has it’s castle and park next behind the wall of the church. With head of the house Gloria Von Thurn und Taxis .
Credit: Maps Icons ColIlection, https://mapicons.mapsmarker.com/
245 total views, 1 views today